An 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman who apparently acted alone opened fire in a very busy shopping center in Munich on Friday (22 July) evening, killing at the very least nine individuals the third attack against civilians in The european union in eight days.
The pistol-wielding attacker, recognized by Munich Police Chief Hubertus Andrae in the form of dual national, was later found dead connected with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.
Police, citing eyewitness accounts, had initially said they were looking for roughly three suspects within the shooting attack along at the Munich Olympia Shopping Centre that sent shoppers fleeing in panic and shut traffic over the city.
But authorities told a news conference first Saturday the shooter, named in many reports as Ali Sonboly, was thought to have staged the attack alone, opening fire in a very fast food restaurant before getting to the mall.
Sixteen people, including several children, were injured within the attack and three were in critical condition, Andrae said.
There was no known motive to the shooting in Germany’s third largest city, which entered lockdown with transport halted and highways sealed off soon after the attack.
It was another major act of violence against civilians in The european union in eight days. Previous attacks in France and Germany were claimed by your Islamic State militant group.
“The motives of this abhorrent act haven’t been completely clarified – we still contradictory clues,” German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said.
There had not been immediate claim of responsibility but supporters of Islamic State celebrated on social websites.
“The Islamic state is expanding in Europe,” read one tweet.
The gunman, whose body is discovered on a side street nearby the mall, had not been previously seen to police.
The mall is near the Munich Olympic stadium, from where the Palestinian militant group Black September took 11 Israeli athletes hostage and eventually killed them over the 1972 Olympic Games.
Friday’s attack was held a week after a 17-year-old asylum-seeker assaulted passengers in a German train through an axe. Bavarian police shot the teenager dead after he wounded four people from Hong Kong over the train and injured a nearby resident while fleeing.
The police chief said there were clearly no immediate similarities between Friday’s attack and also incident relating to the train at the southern German city of?Wrzburg.